LEGAL BASIS AND MANDATE:
- Presidential Executive Order No 435 issued by then President Fidel V. Ramos and operates in conformity with DOTC-Department Order 97-1113 and PPA-ARMM Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) dated November 11, 1998.
- RA 11054 otherwise know as the Organic Law for the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, particularly Article 13, Sec. 38 (Transportation).
- Bangsamoro Administrative Code
- To formulate, in coordination with the regional development office and other regional agencies, a comprehensive port development plan for the BARMM, to review and update the implementation of these plans;
- To supervise, control, regulate, construct, maintain, operate and provide the necessary facilities and service needed in all these ports within the BARMM;
- To prescribed rules and regulations, procedures and guidelines governing the establishment, construction, maintenance and operation of additional ports, both public and private, within the BARMM;
- To license, control, regulate and supervise any construction of structure within any port in the BARMM;
- To provide services (whether on its own, by contract or otherwise) within the region approaches thereof including but not limited to:
e.1. berthing, towing, mooring, moving, slipping or docking any vessel;
e.2. loading or discharging any vessel;
e.3. sorting, weighing, measuring or otherwise, handling goods.
To control, regulate and supervise pilotage and the conduct of pilots in any port within the BARMM;
- To provide or assists in the provision of training programs and facilities for its staff or those of the port operators and users for the efficient discharge of its functions, duties and responsibilities;
- To exercise corporate powers and police authority now vested in the Philippine Ports Authority, provided that these powers shall not extend to the areas outside the autonomous region; and
- To perform such other functions such services as may be deemed proper and necessary to carry out and implement the provisions of the Executive Order.